Thursday, March 6, 2008

Random Question of the Day





What makes some cheese yellow?

I am sure there is a perfectly simple explanation to this, and if you know the answer feel free to enlighten me. I mean, shouldn't all cheese be white, or creamy colored? I can understand blue cheese, becuase hey, we all know what makes that blue, but yellow cheese? If I am not mistaken cheese originally comes from milk, and I dont know about you but I have never seen yellow milk. And what is going on with that colby jack cheese that is like spotted white and yellow? If it is a mixture of white and yellow cheese shouldn't it just be a very light yellow? Do they just take yellow cheese and white cheese and then squeeze it together to make colby jack cheese? Until I get an answer to all these questions I think I might just eat white cheese--I just don't trust those yellow ones (I am exluding you in this Mark).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

uh... thanks, I think. As far as the cheese goes I'm pretty sure it is different colors based because even though milk doesn't look yellow, the fat in milk is yellow and when reduced to cheese, the yellow comes out. So does that make white cheese less fatty than yellow cheese? I have no idea. I did take a field trip in 2nd grade to a cache valley cheese plant, but all I remember is I had the worst hay fever ever that day, some kids in my class got caught smoking, and a girl sprained her angle getting out of the bus... good times.

Unknown said...

Mandy... you've a blog?

And how odd that I was thinking today: There's not many things better than melted Parmesan cheese.

debs said...

Actually, they often dye cheese because someone thought cheddar would look better orange. You can find white cheddar, but for some reason it is more expensive. (Try the white cheddar Cheetoes - they're great if you don't like orange fingers!) I don't know why thy dye Colby - maybe so you know which is which when you get a Colby - Monterey Jack mix?

Your cousin Jesse's wife, Deborah

Mandy and Brian said...

Well I learn something new every day! I guess it pays to ask questions!