Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Happy Birthday Shakespeare


William Shakespeare's birthday is celebrated on April 23, so I just want to wish the Bard a Happy Birthday! We have become quite good friends over the years as I have studied and watched most of his plays and read most of his poetry. In tribute to this most famous writer I would like to share a few quotes which have particularly stood out to me lately!
"How poor are they that have not patience! What wound did ever heal but by degrees?" - Iago from Othello
"If music be the food of love, play on, and give me excess of it..." - Duke Orsino from Twelfth Night
"Of all the men alive I never yet beheld that special face which I could fancy more than any other." - Bianca from Taming of the Shrew
"If I be waspish, best beware my sting." - Kate from Taming of the Shrew
"I'd rather hear a dog bark at a crow, than a man swear he loves me." - Beatrice from Much Ado About Nothing
I got 9/10 so perhaps somone can still best me!

5 comments:

Allison said...

Man, I only got 7 out of 10 right. I guess all that studying of Shakespeare you are doing is paying off.

Jenny said...

Well, I am not worthy to even go to the Shakespeare festival with any of you. I only got 3 out of 10. :( How embarrassing. I loved reading your favorite quotes though. Thanks for reminding me that I enjoy Shakespeare and that I need to read him more often.

Unknown said...

Sweet, perfect score! Okay, not really, I didn't even take the test... but I do have a healthy appreciation for the festival. As far as reading books, I think its still over rated. Happy B-day big fella.

Melissa said...

Well, I only got half of them correct, but I doth heartily protest....methinks most of the questions were not even about Shakespeare and his plays! Did you really know all of those answers Mandy, or were there some "lucky guesses" in there? You must have read and remembered EVERY display in Stratford-on-Avon. Will you still let me take you to the Shakespeare Festival? If I buy the tickets??
I LOVED the quotes, and have read them over again at least 10 times.

Emily said...

What light from yonder window breaks. . .is that Mom commenting???

I only got half right too. You've always been the true Shakespearean in our family.

I'm Shakespeare Festival Homesick now. . .