Saturday, July 26, 2008

All the Pretty Horses

I can't remember a time when I did not love horses. I grew up around horses so when I wasn't actually riding them I was pretending that I was, and if I wasn't pretending that I was riding I was pretending I was the horse itself. I loved horses of every color, black, chestnut, white, grey, buckskin. Horses galloped through both my waking and sleeping dreams, and I found horses doodled across all my notebooks from school. When we sold our last three horses before my parents moved to Mexico I was devestated. I was in school when one of my teachers (we all know each other well since it is such a small community)pulled me out of class and handed me a check for the three horses. He assured me they would not come to get them until the evening, but when I returned from school the fields were empty. I thought the grass looked lonely as it swayed in the breeze. All I could think of was that I did not have a chance to say goodbye. Not to Sundowner the clever and often naughty little pony, or May who despite her lazy and cold manner I had come to love, or even to Shaker with his crooked feet and homely face who loved his ears to be scratched. It has now been five years since a horse of my own as been in these fields and earlier this summer I convinced my mom to buy a cheap horse that I had discovered. He has turned out to be more of a project than I bargained for. Despite the fact that he is nearly unrideable and has been christened "Bucky" as a result, it still feels good to have a horse of my own. Here are a few pictures of my years with horses.







5 comments:

Emily said...

I've always loved that picture of you with Apache. You were such a darling little cowgirl! - still are.

Unknown said...

Wow... that first picture is great -- it's picture perfect. :)

And I'm envious of ... well... I don't know exactly what I'm envious of, but I think it's really neat that you were lucky enough to grow up with horses.

Jenny said...

I love the pictures! I am so happy to see you with your own horse again. It was hard enough to watch the horses sold when Mom and Dad left, let alone watch how hard it was for you.

Unknown said...

Wow, your new heading picture is sweet. I'd pay money for that to frame and put up in my house!

Ben's Major Jaw Reconstruction said...

Hey Mandy!!! I'm glad you found my blog! I read pretty much all of your blogs...I don't know why you won't let people read your books you've written....your way of writing is so awesome and I laughed so hard especially at your blond entry and your dictionary according to Mandy!!! Just one favor...when you're on top remember us little people down here! :) Can I have your autograph? Haha Glad you're doing well!!!!