Saturday, July 12, 2008

Quotable Quotes




So I just finished reading a funny little book entitled, "The Mouse on the Moon." Contrary to what you might think, it is not about a mouse at all. Instead it is about a tiny country named Grand Fenwick that makes a rocket fuel out of wine and makes it to the moon before the U.S. or Russia. While this might sound like a zany plot, I did discover some fine quotes from love to politics whithin the yellow old pages. I thought I would share a few.

Talking about a single young man of twenty-five......"He's emotionally immature. He still thinks of himself as the most important person in the world--the one who has to be suited in all things. That is the attitude of the perennial bachelor, who by his nature is emotionally immature."

Talking about the nature of politics..... "Governments are elected so that nations may prosper while really not knowing what is going on at all. That is the art of successful government. Nor can governments carry on their business effectively with each other by telling each other frankly what are their policies and objectives. Good heavens, what a monstrous handicap such an arrangement would prove. Deceit, my dear boy, is the very lubricant of the machinery of international diplomacy. It is by subterfuge that the whole mechanism works smoothly."

And of course, true love..... "I don't mind dying as dying. But since dying would entail not seeing you again--then I am afraid."

5 comments:

Emily said...

Oh those ARE gems!
I saw that old book out on the porch and wondered what nerd was reading it.

Unknown said...

Hehe... those are good. I especially like the second two.

And is it okay to think of oneself as the most important person in the world if one is yet but twenty-four? :)

Unknown said...

...and what happened to Shakespeare's blog? Did he die?

Mandy and Brian said...

Shakespeare's blog was a project for a class so I discontinued it, but Shakespeare is also dead, just in case you didn't know, and he wasn't really writing that blog. Oh Matt, the things you need to learn.
And by the way, since we all know you actually ARE the most important person in the world, I guess it is ok if you think so too.

TODD + ANNIE said...

Those are some good quotes. I wouldn't guess them to have come from that book though. I guess that is the perfect example of the term, "Don't judge a book by its cover!"